Saturday 7 June 2008

I've been lead astray

A few weeks ago, I decided that I had too much yarn. I have enough yarn for at least five sweaters for me plus two tops, several hats and multiple pairs of socks. I'm not even sure what I want to make when this lot is used up. The lid of the "Stash" (a pine blanket box) doesn't close properly, even with the sewing machine sitting on it.

So I decided to go on a yarn diet. No more yarn purchases until at least the I-Knit-London show in September (that's where I'll get to meet the Yarn Harlot). And I'd have to use up enough Stash that I could close the lid in the meantime.

The diet lasted 2 weeks.

At lunch on Wednesday, a colleague "N" took me and another colleague "K" to a nearby shopping centre; somewhere off the main roads, where I'd never been before. "K" is a knitter. She's also a bargain shopper, who finds most of her yarn in charity shops. There are at least four charity shops in the shopping precinct, although we only managed to visit two.

We hit paydirt! "K" purchased 12 x50g balls of a cotton ribbon yarn that I'd never heard of (and don't remember), for 50p a ball. Even better, the shop manager was the person who donated the yarn in the first place so could verify it was all one dye lot. "K" plans to make a blouse with it.

Me? I purchased this:

55g of some unlabeled ?aran pink fuzzy yarn (feels like mohair, but who knows?). It cost me 50p.

I want to make the ruffle scarf from Interweave Crochet, Fall 2005. I know I don't have enough to make the scarf as shown, but I'll use it as my inspiration and go from there.

Oops! Look like the diet failed.

- Pam (also purchased a pink wool suit for £7.50!)

No comments: