For me, the time between Christmas and New Year is always a time for reflection and goal setting. What did I achieve last year? What do I want to achieve in 2012? Etc, etc. It's that whole "New Year, new me" thing.
In 2011, I set 8 goals:-
- No stash enhancement (I've gone cold sheep)
- To conquer the garden
- To do the Lincoln 10k
- To finish the year with no UFOs
- To get pregnant (yes, this cancels out other goals)
- To knit 1 pair of socks every 2 months
- To knit 6 sweaters
- To lose 25lb in weight
For 2012, I have a whole new batch of
- To really work at having a decent veggie garden this year. I'd like to be able to feed us from it for days/weeks at a time.
- To use things up. I have a stockpile of "stuff": make-up, fabric, cross stitch stuff, yarn, even cooking ingredients. As Gigi Knitmore once said, "There's no point in saving things just in case the Queen drops in. Use it and enjoy it".
- To only buy yarn from a) charity shops or b) if it is less than £3/ball. Oh, and the yarn budget for 2012 will be £60 for the year, no more. I've tried going "cold sheep" and not buying yarn and all that happens is that I'll be good for months and then go mad.
- To be tidy. I have the messy gene - I can put a pen on an empty table and it'll look like a bomb hit it in 2 minutes flat. I can't do neat but I can do tidy.
- To be more organised. No more forgetting things or procrastinating and putting off things that need to be done.
- To buy less than 12 items of clothing in 2012 (underwear, socks and stockings exempted). Ideally, I'd like to buy them from charity shops - I've had really good luck recently and scored 3 brand new suits for less than £10 each. (I have far too many clothes anyway, so need to wear some stuff until it wears out.)
- To lose at least another stone (14lb) in weight. I want to lose the spare tyre that has settled on my midriff.
- The nebulous fitness goal: to strengthen my body by working out/lifting weights three times a week.
- The not-so-nebulous fitness goal: to be able to run 5k/3 miles without stopping, and to achieve this before my birthday in August.
- To knit another 6 pairs of socks and 6 sweaters in 2012. And to make them from stash yarns.
- To blog more. I didn't post nearly enough this year.
What about you? How did your 2011 New Year's Resolutions do? Did any last beyond January? Are you planning on doing any for 2012?
I'd like to wish you all a very happy New Year. May your resolutions be achieved and all your dreams and wishes in 2012 come true. Here's hoping 2012 will be a kinder year for all of us.