I’m currently knitting “frankensocks” for myself. Years ago, I bought two 100g balls of Lang Super Soxx, one in blue shades and one in grey. The blue became a pair of socks for DH and the grey a pair for me. Beyond size, the only difference in their appearance is the colour. (Sadly, today, I can’t load the photo directly to this thread. I’m on an iPad and it’s always hit and miss for photos on the MSE Forums.)
Anyway, I had 20g left of the blue and 35g of the grey. I’ve been itching to use it up. My standard socks use 63g-65g of 4-ply. Since I only had 55g, I thought that, if I shortened the leg by 15 rows, did the cuffs, heels and toes in the grey, then alternated between the two colours row-by-row, I should have enough to make another pair of socks. I’ve just started the toe of the first sock. It’s not gone according to plan. I began getting worried about the quantity of the blue, so stopped using it 15 rows into the gusset. (There’s 10g left.) Ten rows into the foot, I started panicking about the grey...
Rummaging through the stash, I found the unlabelled end of another grey/black/white shaded sock yarn - maybe 5g - and alternated rows with that for 24 rounds. I think I’ve got enough to do the same on the second sock, but I won’t know for certain until I finish the toe on the first one and can weigh everything.
Wish me luck.
- Pip (Hopefully I’ll be able to share photos at some point.)
Monday, 30 August 2021
Subscribe to: Posts (Atom)