Friday 6 July 2007

They just fell into my basket and begged to be taken home.

This is the post I'd planned to write yesterday, before I spent several hours ornamenting the M4.

At lunchtime on Wednesday, a colleague took me into Reading to
Hobbycraft to buy some jewellery equipment. (My grand plan is to make some stitch markers, possibly to sell, but I didn't have the right stuff.) Whilst I was waiting for her to find her own crafty bits, I wandered the yarn aisle.

I don't normally recommend Hobbycraft for yarn; their selection is usually rubbish. To them, knitting is a token craft - an afterthought - limited to a couple of shelf-stacks and deeply un-trendy. But something on the clearance shelf caught my eye. It was pink and fuzzy.




It sat there with its siblings, naked to the world. I pulled out all nine skeins - between them were two ball bands: Patons' Studio Mohair DK, 50% mohair, 50% acrylic; made in Australia less than 4 miles from where I trained as a nurse.

The sign on the clearance bin said £1.49 a ball.

I rescued them all.



- Pam (it's enough for a sweater, but I have no idea what to make. LBYM, too.)

No comments: