Thursday 5 January 2012

I'm with lurgy

I don't think I've had more than a minor cold since 2008 but, this year, one has really hit me.  This one started with the sneezes last Thursday and appears to be progressing one symptom at a time.  (I really hate it when that happens.)  Naturally, it started when I was already on leave - I'm sure there are statistics about that somewhere, people getting sick when they finally have time to relax.  However, I know that since it's a cold, I would have become infected in the first or second week of December.  That's when the lurgy was going around the office.

I phoned in sick on Tuesday, with my tonsils pretending to be golf-balls.  By yesterday night, they were down so I thought "Yes, I can cope with work.  I'll go into work tomorrow". Set the alarm for 6am this morning. It went off, I got up had my shower, etc, sat down with my breakfast coffee and realised that I felt more tired than I did when I went to bed last night. Breathing was harder, too.  So I phoned the office and told my team that I won't be in for the rest of the week.

I do hope this damn thing isn't escalating.

- Pam


PS:  Yes, I've had my flu jab.  I've been having flu jabs religiously annually since I developed a secondary chest infection after having the flu in 2000.  My GP recommended it, which means I get it for free on the NHS.   I'd have paid for it, prior to that, but it was almost impossible to find somewhere to obtain it.  (One year, my employer organised flu jabs for everyone who wanted one.  We paid £5 each towards them.)  Now, of course, you can buy a flu jab in Boots.

No comments: