Still, it's given me some time to consider how 2012 went and what I'll do differently in 2013. In 2012, I had multiple goals. Here's how they went:-
- The nebulous fitness goal: to strengthen my body by working out/lifting weights three times a week. Big fail. Didn't work out once. I am weaker now than I was a year ago.
- The not-so-nebulous fitness goal: to be able to run 5k/3 miles without stopping, and to achieve this before my birthday in August. Another big fail. I just couldn't get out of bed to start running.
- To be more organised. Nebulous, but successful.
- To be tidy. My desk at work has stopped breeding paper. 'Nuff said.
- To buy less than 12 items of clothing in 2012 (underwear, socks and stockings exempted). SUCCESS!!! My purchases for 2012: 3 pairs of jeans, 2 t-shirts, 1 blouse, 2 hats, 1 suit; so 9 items in total.
- To knit 1 pair of socks every 2 months. SUCCESS. By October, I'd finished 7 pairs of socks and am now 70% through an 8th.
- To knit 6 sweaters. Partial success. I finished 5 sweaters, including Pretty In Pink (still needs to be photographed).
- To lose 14lb in weight. Partial success. By June, I'd lost 7lb but put most of it back on by the end of the year.
- To only buy yarn from a) charity shops or b) if it is less than £3/ball. Oh, and the yarn budget for 2012 will be £60 for the year, no more. This was successful until I went to the Knit & Stitch Show at Ally Pally back in October. I nearly didn't go until a friend persuaded me. Then I went mad. I refuse to tell you how much I spent.
- To really work at having a decent veggie garden this year. I'd like to be able to feed us from it for days/weeks at a time. Big fail. The garden yielded garlic, onions and potatoes. That's all. The onions weren't particularly big, either. If anyone tells you that gardening is easy, they're lying.
- To use things up. I have a stockpile of "stuff": make-up, fabric, cross stitch stuff, yarn, etc, and it's time to make a dent in it. SUCCESS. I cleared out the stockpile of hotel shampoo, made a big dent in the collection of hotel body-wash (we still have tons), and the body lotion stockpile has decreased dramatically. The make-up stockpile is down by three make-up bases, one blusher and two mascaras. However, I think it'll take me a decade to use up my lipstick collection.
Highlights of 2012 were the trip to Oman, my sister's visit, the various concerts I performed in, the Last Night of the Proms, the Queen's Jubilee and the Olympics/Paralympics. DH is working at a job that stimulates his mind instead of just paying the bills (and enjoying every minute, as far as I can tell). On Ravelry, I participated in the Ankh-Morpork Knitters Guild Guild Wars 2012, competing in every round. Workwise, I have a new job title at work ("Finance Manager") and a new reporting structure, but my job hasn't really changed. It's just got more complicated.
Goals for 2013.
I am not proposing to set many goals for 2013. I know, earlier this year, I toyed with setting a Wartime Experiment challenge for myself, but I'm not sure I'm up to it. Anyway, this is my list so far:-
- 2013 is my year of vintage knitting. For sweaters, I will only knit from vintage or vintage-style patterns.
- To only buy British/locally manufactured yarns.
- To work out 5 days a week, either weight training or running.
- To lose 20lb in weight.
- To work on my voice and my musicality. I'm a very lazy singer and need to work much harder.
- To build a cash cushion. I'm aware that Toy won't last forever (he's done 264,000 miles) and want to pay cash for the next car.
- To finish the downstairs of the house. It's time we had a real kitchen.
- To get a dog.