Tuesday 6 March 2007

Random Ramblings

I’ve had the lurgy since Sunday: fever, swollen glands, headache, tonsils that feel as if they’re growing barbed wire…..

I took yesterday off and spent most of it asleep. When I was awake, I was too knackered to knit. And it was an effort to read. Felt well enough this morning to go to work. I’ve only been there 6 weeks; felt as if I had to make the effort when, in a job I’d been at longer, I might have taken the extra day off.

===========================

The WonderWoman Project has suffered a bit of blow because of my illness. Until Sunday, I’d exercised every day, washed off my makeup and ensured that there were no dirty dishes lurking waiting for me to come home. About the only thing that has made it through the last few days is my diet; with the exception of Saturday night, I’ve stayed within my WW points total.

Staying within my points is a bigger achievement than it sounds; we’ve swapped from our regular skimmed milk to whole milk. My usual half-pint a day has quadrupled in points from 1 to 4. I’m not sure I can cope with it. Swapping yoghurts was OK – some how that’s only increased the points by 1 – but 4 points is a fifth of my basic daily allowance! I have to ask myself whether an experiment based on empirical evidence from the Nurses Health Study is worth the extra stress. How much do I really want to lose weight? How much do I want to get pregnant? Have the researchers discounted everything else that may have affected those women’s hormone levels?

===========================

Saturday night, met up with some girlfriends for dinner. We went to Village East in Bermondsey Street, SE1. The place was packed and justifiably so. It’s styled on many of the bars/restaurants I’ve seen in Australia and America, but never here: a proper bar area with a separate restaurant attached. The food was lovely; the menu was a mix of simply prepared seafood dishes and steak. And they do amazing cocktails.

- Pam

No comments: