Wednesday 27 May 2009

Don't Panic Mr Mannering!

Are you as underwhelmed about Swine Flu as I am? Looking back over the last four weeks, it seems like the proverbial storm in a teacup. It seems to have morphed into a damp squib.

I have a theory about why Swine Flu isn't as virulent outside Mexico as it appears to be within it. It's quite simple and doesn't involve higher level genetics or virology. My theory boils down to this: Mexico is a poor country without a nationalised health service. To see a doctor or be treated in the ER, you have to pay. Therefore, I reckon that only the sickest of those infected sought out treatment in Mexico, the ones who were already at Death's door. Following on from that logic, it means that for the 100-odd deaths in Mexico, hundreds of thousands of people were infected with Swine Flu and have recovered from it. They weren't so ill that they would spend their hard earned dollars on a doctor's visit.

It isn't SARS. It isn't Bird Flu. It isn't that virulent. Journalists of the world should get over it. The rest of us should just employ good hygene, avoid touching our faces and washing our hands often.

- Pam

2 comments:

amy said...

Flu is flu, you know? My kid has pneumonia, from not-swine flu.

I do think those of us in the northern hemisphere have to be aware in the fall, in case this virus mutates and comes back stronger during proper flu season (a la 1918). And all this tempest-in-a-teapot now won't help, if there's a real issue in the fall and nobody listens because this turned out to be nothing.

PipneyJane said...

I totally agree with you. I will definitely be having my flu vaccine this autumn - hopefully they'll have enough time to include the swine-flu virus in it.

I was really sorry to read about Nicholas. I hope he's on the mend.

- Pam