Sunday 10 August 2008

Exercise Olympics: Days 1, 2 and 3 Report

(Well, maybe I'm cheating a little reporting Day 3 before it's finished but this will be my only blog-time today.)

Friday, I thought "Well, I've committed myself in public, I'd better get up and do something". My choice: Move More by Weight Watchers. This was the first time I'd had it out of the case. After listening to the introduction, I pushed the furniture back, dialled up an aerobic session and settled down to follow as best I could.

I don't know about you, but I buy exercise DVDs to "inspire me". To prove to myself that this time I am going to work out. This time will be different - see, I've got a shiny new DVD to prove it! And I'm determined to make it happen this time. Only, this time becomes last time and nothing changes.

Move More was a pleasant surprise. The designers have put a lot of thought into what their audience needs and wants: firstly, by designing a routine that changes each time you switch it on, and secondly, by noticing that none of us live in an exercise studio. This is a workout that can be done in a six foot square of cleared space. Also, it was easy to follow. OK, I'm not the most coordinated person, nor do I have much balance, so if I can follow a DVD on the first time through then it must be good.

The final thing to note is that the DVD doesn't contain one exercise style of workout - it contains three. You can chose a stretch and relax type workout, a tone and muscle building type workout or an aerobic workout. (These are my descriptions - WW calls them something else.) And you can choose the duration too, from 5 to 30 minutes.

For Day 2, last night, I did a stretch and relax workout. It was late, I was tired and self-conscious because DH was in the room. Once again, the workout was easy to follow, mainly floor work (so no "need to balance on one leg" stuff, yay!).

This morning's choice is going to be The Firm's Slim Solutions Yoga Workout, just as soon as I've had my second cup of coffee. So that's three days down, 14 to go.

- Pam

PS: I'd like to welcome those who've signed up so far: Nandy (hi sis!) and Fluff.

1 comment:

Emmy said...

Good for you, PJ! I'm newly on the wagon, too (life's been throwing me an assault of curve balls lately, and naturally my response is to EAT THEM!!!!). I'm not an exercise video junkie, I lean more to obsessing about cooking and eating better. If you get a min, check out the book What The Bible Says About Healthy Living by Rex Russell - compelling stuff...

Anyhoo, good luck! Keep us posted on your weight loss journey (there's that smarmy Weight Watchers catchphrase again, grrrr!)

~emily

PS - LOOOOOOOVE Amy Dacyczyn, too. Maybe u and I are long lost sisters? (grin)