Tuesday 20 November 2007

back home

We flew back from Canada on Saturday night. I got very little sleep on the plane (had a migraine), but the jet-lag didn't really kick in until today (possibly because I was up past midnight re-writing my CV - more on that later).

I'll post some photos, etc, later, but here are some random thoughts about our trip to entertain you:-
  • I didn't knit on the way out. The Air Canada check-in staff advised me to pack my needles into my suitcase.
  • I did knit on the way home. The check-in staff sent DH off to speak to security to ensure they hadn't changed the rules since the last knitter checked in. Security's response was revealing - they couldn't quite comprehend why he was asking the question about such a normal activity. Nobody said anything to me when I went through security nor were there any comments on the plane.
  • Quebec drivers are worse than the British. DH's cousin says they're worse than driving in France.
  • Of the towns we visited, Quebec City was the most tourist friendly, followed by Ottawa.
  • I didn't find any yarn shops, but I didn't get the chance to do much looking. I did, however, manage to pick up two very nice knitted cardigans for reasonable prices.
  • I didn't drive on the wrong side of the road, but I did manage to turn the wrong way down a one-way street.
  • The deep water in a typical North American toilet-bowl still freaks me out. Why, in two countries obsessed by hygiene, do you run the risk of "splash back" every time you go to the toilet??? Drop the water-level guys!
  • I'd forgotten how big trucks could get. Saw my first proper road-train outside Australia.
OK, I'm tired. That's enough for now.

- Pam

PS: On the job front, I had a call yesterday from the recruiter who placed me in my current role. Seems he's set up on his own with some colleagues. Perfect timing. I wandered into the kitchen at work, talked to him for at least 10 minutes and officially started my job search.

No comments: